Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Lessons from 2007

Out with the old...in with the new! It is so hard for me to believe that we are already in 2008. Remember when we were little and the year 2000 seemed so far away?

2007 was a year full of lessons. Some of them were happy and fun, some of them were miserable and scary. The biggest and best lesson of all has been becoming first time parents. My mom was right when she said there is no greater thing than a mother's love for her child. It is amazing how that happens, all of the sudden, boom, this little life comes in and takes over your world and you fall head over heels in love. I am so thankful that we have been blessed with a baby, but not just any baby, a baby who is really, really happy! Everyday is a learning experience and it just gets better and better.

Hard lessons stink, but they make us stronger. I learned many things this year.
  1. I moved away from my family and friends. Even though you only live 100 miles from them, sometimes it seems like a world away when you just need a friendly smile or a warm hug. (Thank goodness for IM!)

  2. Hearing "You know she is smiling down on you from heaven," falls flat as you are celebrating having children of your own and want to share that joy with your parents.

  3. I learned that women still do get fired for having babies. Hard to believe that still happens in this day and age. I also learned that people you respect and who are supposed to be leaders can turn out to be the biggest liars of all and can hurt you more than you ever expected...if you let them.

  4. I have learned, okay am still learning, to accept help from others. Having watched my mother struggle to take care of us, I learned quickly to be independent and try to make things work on my own to help take the load off of her. I pride myself in not needing to rely on anyone to support me financially. So, this not working, staying home to take care of our daughter has been difficult for my pride. I know this is the most important job I could and will ever have, but it still makes me struggle sometimes. Feeling guilty about wanting to spend any money is a new concept for me, but I will get over that ;)

I guess if you read those four things above you might think I am complaining or unhappy. What is weird is that I am happier than I have ever been. I think the struggles of the past year are just making me stronger and preparing for whatever is in store for us this coming year. Each night when I say my prayers I thank God for all of the wonderful blessings he has given me and I want all of you to know that I count you among them!

2 comments:

Patricia said...

AMEN!! :)

Anonymous said...

Susie, Great post! Your transperancy is admirable! I love that you say you are the happiest now than you've ever been. It's amazing how God's blessings turn out to be the best, even if we never thought we'd see it that way. :)