Thursday, October 18, 2007

Attack of the Boll Weevils


For the past few weeks I have been working with my brother-in-law at his shop. We are located in an industrial office park in the country with several other businesses. Everyday about 4:30 I see this army of trucks returning to the office. I am talking like 50 - 100 trucks! I finally realized what these trucks were. They are part of the Texas Boll Weevil Eradication Program. What the heck is a Boll Weevil exactly and why do we have such a problem? Do other states have an overrun of Boll Weevils? Where were the Weevil Eradicators when I had a problem with a tainted bag of pasta full of Weevils at my house? I realize this is a crazy post, I just can't help but laugh when I see this steady stream of trucks coming in for the day after a long day of eradicating the Boll Weevils.

2 comments:

Jen said...

That logo is cracking me up! They really do have an association or foundation for everything, don't they? The Boll Weevil Eradication Foundation... LOL :)

Mimi said...

That is weird! I thought that Boll Weevils were only part of history!! and one of my favorite lessons too!
I usually don’t remember history well, but in the early 1900’s the people of Enterprise, Alabama were trying to grow cotton, but of course the boll weevil came in and destroyed their crops. They didn’t allow adversity to get the better of them – they tried growing peanuts instead! They even made a monument that reads:
“In profound appreciation of the boll weevil and what it has done as the herald of prosperity this monument was erected by the citizens of Enterprise, Coffee County, Alabama.”

If I’m not mistaken they have a peanut festival every year to commemorate the Boll Weevil!